Red Tape - Step by step guide

RED TAPE – Italians do it better

If you are moving to Milan (or Italy in general) do not forget that you are required by law to carry a valid ID document with you at all times. I realise that carrying your passport around maybe risky, so I suggest that you either carry a photocopy of it in your wallet or apply for an Italian ID card (“carta d’identità”) (see the section Identity Card under Excusemi Services). A word of warning to those of you who are shipping your belongings into Italy, if you are not an Italian resident you may/will? have to pay import duty on your things unless you become a resident beforehand.

STEP ONE to living in Italy –Registering with the Italian Authorities

If you are intending to stay in Italy for less than three months you will need to register with the Italian authorites. Please see the section "Entering Italy" for further information.

STEP TWO - Obtaining a Tax Code (Codice Fiscale)

The first thing you need to do on moving to Milan is apply for an Italian tax code (“codice fiscale”). You will need this to do absolutely anything here, even buy a phone. You can get a codice fiscale from the Agenzia delle Entrate. See the section Tax Code for foreigners- Codice Fiscale

STEP THREE – Permit to Stay (for non-EU citizens only)

If you are a non- EU citizen and intend to stay in Italy for more than three months you need to apply for a permit to stay (“permesso di soggiorno”). For further details please go to the section Permesso di Soggiorno - Permit to Stay

STEP FOUR – Request Residency at the Municipality

EU citizens who intend to stay in Italy for more than three months must request residency from the relevant Municipality (e.g. Comune di Milano). This is also required for non-EU citizens when requesting a permit to stay. For further information, please go the section Residency - Residenza.

STEP FIVE - Registering with the Italian Health Service (ASL) and choose a GP/pediatrician

In order to use the Italian Health Service and register with a doctor, you will need to register at the relevant ASL (Assistenza Sanitaria Locale) office first.

STEP SIX - Carta Regionale di Servizi 

Carta Regionale di Servizi is issued by the Lombardy Region and will be sent to your home once you have applied for an Italian tax code and registered with the Italian Health Service. It substitues the old "Tessera Sanitaria" and "Codice Fiscale". Please see the section "Carta Regionale di Servizi" for further information.


Editor’s Note: All of the information contained in this section “Red Tape - Step by Step Guide” and Excusemi Services has been taken from the websites of the Agenzia delle Entrate, Polizia di Stato, Ministero dell'Interno and Comune di Milano and translated into English. This section is intended to be a rough guide to help you find your way around Italian bureaucracy, however, we cannot be held responsible for any variation in procedure as some public officials have been known to vary it on a case-by-case basis. This page was last up-dated on 30 June 2013.